Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Planting a Clover Lawn

My Dutch White Clover seeds arrived! I was amazed at how small they were. My original thought was to use my hand crank seed broadcaster. But the seeds were the size of sand. So after doing some online research I figured it out.



I'll mix the seed with sand and use it in my seed broadcaster.

This sounded like a great idea! Upon mixing my sand (1lb Clover - 50lb Sand) and clover in a wheel barrow, I loaded up my broadcaster and started to crank the handle. Well, within a few cranks the gears became jammed. So much for planting a clover lawn!

That's not going to work.

I ended up carrying a bucket and casting the sand/seed mixture on my lawn. Fortunately it was a windy day and that helped to carry the seed and spread more evenly. I simply walked in rows throwing the sand/seed as even as I could. I am thinking I will have to do another spot seeding this fall as I'm sure the seed did not settle 100% evenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment